Pages

Early Literacy Skills ~ Phonemic Awareness & Rhyme

Down by the bay...Where the watermelons grow...Back to my home...I dare not go...For if I do...My mother will say...Have you ever seen a pig wearing a wig...Down by the bay
Author Unknown ~ Traditional Children's Song


I loved this song when I was little and now Macy does, too!  It is such great fun!  This song is an easy way to work on rhyme with children.  When reading or singing this book, just leave off the last part of the rhyme about each animal and see what words your children will come up with.  For example, Have you ever seen a moose, kissing a _________?   Maybe your child will say, "Goose" or maybe "Foose!"  

Phonemic Awareness is learning about sounds, so if your child said a made up word like, foose, they are doing a marvelous job learning about sounds!  Made up words are even part of phonemic awareness testing at some schools!  

After your kiddo gets the last word being left off down pat, then leave off the entire last part of the sentence.  We have tons of fun with this activity!  Have you ever seen a bear dancing at the fair?  Then, we will write our own verses to the song and illustrate them to make our very own book.  

Another fun book to make your own verses and illustrations for, is Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you See?  by Bill Martin. 

You could do... 

Leprechaun, Leprechaun, what do you see?  I see a green clover looking at me.  
Green clover, green clover, what do you see?  I see a black pot looking at me.  Etc.

or 

Pink rabbit, pink rabbit, what do you see?  I see a blue egg looking at me.  
Blue egg, blue egg, what do you see?  I see a brown basket looking at me.  Etc.

I'm sure you and your child will enjoy many Teachable Moments while making your very own picture books!

Also join me in the Welcome Wednesday Blog Hop!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment